The first Jews arrived to Abaújszántó in 1875 from Austria, the Czech Republic and Moravia. They established their first community under the protection of Prince Károly Bretzenheim.
The famous wine museum attached to the winery of Abraham Teitelbaum and M. Beiler kept a bottle of each vintage from 1783-1910. The Jewish community was able to operate a large yeshiva (Jewish religious school), where acknowledged scholar rabbis taught. The most famous among them was Rabbi Eleazar Loew (Shemen Rokeach). As the synagogue was converted to a warehouse after WW II, the Jewish inhabitants’ memory of the once flourishing market town today is only preserved by the Jewish cemetery.

Az abaújszántói zsinagóga
(Abaújszántó, Jászai tér 15.) 

The synagogue was built in 1896. The few Holocaust survivors who returned to their hometown after WWII, did not stay too long, and moved to live in different places. By 1950, the Jewish community became nonexistent, and the synagogue was disassembled too: its ornaments were painted over, and the building was used as a warehouse. The once impressive temple is still a functioning warehouse today.

Abaújszántói zsidó temető
(Abaújszántó Dobó u. 18.)
The cemetery is well maintained to this day. Here lie rabbis Elazas Löw and Arje Lipschütz Lőb.

Abaújszántó Local history collection and Wine Museum
(Abaújszántó, Béke u. 42.)

The building was a customs house until the late 1800’s. Its cellars served as a temporary Jewish temple. Today it houses the local history collection since 1975.